Bridal sessions are one of my favorite (if not my most favorite) things to photograph and film! If you’re unfamiliar with what bridals are, let me explain! Bridals are the pictures of just the bride and groom. They can be done whenever and wherever really. What I love the most about bridal sessions is that they are completely customizable to each couple! With that, I get asked a lot of questions about them because there isn’t “one set way” for each couple! I thought I would answer some of my most frequently asked questions in hopes to clear the air about them and show you guys why they’re AWESOME!
Where should I do my bridals?
– I recommend going somewhere really cool for them! I’m a big believer in having photos and films that reflect your personalities. If you’re the type of people that love the outdoors, let’s go up to the mountains! If you love the ocean, lets go to the beach! Your bridals are a chance to document your LOVE STORY! Choose somewhere that represents you two as a couple! These are the pictures you’ll have framed in your house so let’s make them EPIC!
Will my dress get dirty?
– Yep. Probably hahah. Most of the time brides MOMS are the ones the most stressed about the dress getting dirty. The truth behind the matter is that you’re literally going to wear your dress for maybe a total of 18 hours between your bridal session and wedding day. Let your dress be lived in! Some brides try to bring a white sheet to stand on, but 99% of the time they’ll stand on it once and then they get rid of it because it gets in their way! We’ll pick up your dress when we walk around and obviously not let it get dragged through the mud, but if you’re going to take your pictures anywhere outside where there is DIRT, your dress will get DIRT on it. CRAZY how that works hahaha.
When should I do my bridals?
– Like I said, there isn’t one designated time that you have to do it! However, in my experience there are systems that work better than others! It really all depends on whether you want to wait to see each other until you walk down the aisle, or if you are okay with doing it before the big aisle moment. My personal preference is doing it a few days before the wedding! We can go somewhere really cool, do a first look and take some awesome bridals in an awesome location! If we do it early enough I can even edit some of the pictures and send them to you with enough time to get them printed for your reception. If you want to wait and not see each other until you walk down the aisle, you can do your bridal session a few days after the wedding as well! This is a nice option because its not huge deal if your dress gets a little dirty and we can still go to all the cool places!
Would it be better to get my hair and makeup and flowers done twice?
– Thats a personal preference! When I got married I did. It’s completely up to you though! But to answer the question, aesthetically speaking… yes? It will look better obviously, but when you’re having a really good time on your shoot it doesn’t matter too much. For my wedding I got my hair and make up done once for bridals and then again on my actual wedding day. Flowers make a big difference, but if you had to narrow it down I would say for sure at least have flowers for your wedding day. Typically at your bridal session you can be a little bit more playful and move around more so you won’t always want the bouquet in your hands anyways. If you can swing it, totally do both, both times! But if you can’t, it will all still look great! You can even purchase a smaller bouquet for your bridals or have someone put together a bouquet with fake flowers. If you opt for the fake flowers option, I do suggest getting the most realistic looking flowers because good floral arrangements can be a total game changer. If you don’t love it, you won’t use it!
What/ Who should I bring to my bridal session
– If you have a veil, wear it! It really ties your pictures and film together super beautifully! As the bride, don’t worry about the shoes you wear. You’re dress will hide your feet most of the time anyways! When we do bridal sessions I typically recommend wearing comfortable shoes with good traction! We had a bride wear Chacos once and she got the most insanely beautiful pictures because they weren’t afraid to test out new places! I don’t recommend bringing family members to your bridal session. I’m sure your family is awesome, but its hard to be all lovey dovey with your S/O when your mom is watching. Alsoooo, family members (although they mean well) can be a bit critical during the session. Whether that’s the way you’re standing, how you’re holding hands etc. Its overwhelming to you two as a couple and its a tad overwhelming to your photographer and videographer as well. Friends can be helpful, but really, other than you and your S/O, no one else really needs to come. Between your sweetheart, your photographer and videographer, we will always help with the dress and anything else! That magic quad is the best grouping!
Bridal sessions are the BEST! You only get these types of pictures ONCE IN YOUR LIFE! It makes me sad when bride and grooms get so caught up in their wedding that they don’t make time for the MOST important pictures! These pictures are the ones you’ll actually print and hang up! These pictures are when you get to have FUN! Out of my whole wedding experience, my favorite part was getting my bridals done because it was so exciting and chill! We weren’t crunched for time, we got to just soak in the fact that we were getting married and now we have some of my favorite pictures forever! Don’t skimp out on your bridals. They are so so so worth it and important!