July 25, 2017 –
WOOHOO! You’re getting married! Pop the sparkling cider and turn up your fav Disney channel star song (don’t pretend like you don’t have one or that you don’t jam hard to it) and permit yourself 3 mins to happy dance!!!!!
I’m here to help you get through the journey before your happily ever after. Basically, you have to slay the dragon (cough cough engagement) before you can get to that beautiful castle that we know as the temple. (PSA: This isn’t a step by step of how to do it but rather how to get through it)
- Pray about it!!!!!– seriously. As soon as you think there’s a chance that this cutie is the one, pray about it. Go to temple about it. Really really really ponder it! Eternity is a long time!
- Don’t over think it– we all want a miraculous sign that he’s the one, I get it. I’ve been there. But it won’t happen… that decision is up to you sister! Don’t get hung up on that one guy you met at EFY 6 years ago and believe that he is your soulmate bc he asked you to dance to your fav song. President Spencer W. Kimball said ,” ‘Soul mates’ are fiction and an illusion; … it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage”.
- Get engaged– this one is kinda irrelevant bc odds are if you’re seeking help for a wedding, your prince has already popped the big question. It’s still important nonetheless
- Begin wedding planning– hahahahahah sitting here laughing at the fact that I’m setting this as just one single number. The truth is, wedding planning is about 45 sections and 106 subsections.
- Set the date– woohoo! I got married towards the end of May… in Idaho.. which meant the weather changed every 2 seconds and we had our reception outside! Talk about scary! But it all worked out, and even if it didn’t it would have made for a funny story down the road…. long long long down the road ? Just make sure your reception venue and your month of marriage matches up for good weather- it’ll save so much stress!
- So you had a problem setting the date…– Don’t worry! It happens! Sometimes the exact day you want doesn’t work out due to vital family members schedules, finances, school, etc. Don’t panic. You’re gonna get married either way so chill.
- …the date is set but my fiancé isn’t from where I’m from– If you’re lucky enough to have grown up in the same area as your fiancé you’re blessed. But if not, let me introduce you to THE OPEN HOUSE. It’s basically just a very small small small reception; minimal decorations and food. Not something to super stress about! You can do it before or after the wedding- it’s just easier to do it closer to the wedding rather than several weeks after the wedding. At that point you are so super done with wedding stuff!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help– let me say that one more time for the people in the back… DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP! So many people are willing and excited to help, you just have to ask! Those people are gonna be your ride or dies through this! Also, just give your mom a hug right now. She’s gonna be your ROCK. Literally, she’s amazing.
- Honeymoon!– Before the wedding I could care less about the honeymoon, I was just excited for everything else! But as the wedding got closer and I grew more stressed, let me tell ya, the honeymoon saved my life!!! Get a honeymoon where you can just relax. Don’t schedule every second to be doing something! If you wanna just sit down and read a book then SIT DOWN AND READ A BOOK! This is basically just time where you really get to relax and get to know your spouse better. I have never laughed so hard with Austin than I did when we were on our honeymoon! This is something to drop big bucks on.
- Don’t starve yourself– you’re a girl. You wanna look your best when you get married. Take this advice: workout and eat healthy earlier rather than later! The sooner you start the less stressed you’ll be about it!
- The Sealing– BEST PART OF THE DAY BY FAR! it’s so beautiful. But like I said above- you’re a girl. You’re gonna get emotional!!!! As soon as I walked into the sealing room and saw my family (especially my parents) I could feel the tears coming. The kind where I knew I wasn’t going to be able to control them. Although this is a special time with them, they’re not who you’re getting sealed to. You are getting sealed to your husband. So he deserves your attention. Listen very closely to everything the sealer tells you, even if it is just a random story! Focus purely on the message the spirit is trying to tell you. I’m not telling you to block out anything, I’m doing quite the opposite. FEEL THE LOVE IN THE ROOM, but don’t focus on it- focus on what the sealer is telling you and what you’re feeling towards your sweetheart!
- The Reception– It’s fun and the part of your wedding day that you can customize to yourself! So exciting! Except sometimes our little girl dreams can get the way of reality. Decorate it however ever you want but just remember that when the time of the reception comes, the last thing you’ll be thinking about is how it looks! You don’t have to go all out because most people won’t stay long enough to notice every intricate detail AND your wedding day is so hectic so the easier it is to set up, the better!
- Money– To me, this was the worst part about wedding planning. Who’s paying for what? Are you serious!? We have to pay for THAT!? To avoid this conflict, set it clear who is paying for what early on so as it gets closer it’s not a huge stress and emotional block between you and your families.
- Photography– GET A GOOD PHOTOGRAPHER! If you’re gonna drop money on anything, drop it on this!
- Soak up everything– That day is crazy. A crazy, beautiful and amazing day! Set aside some time of each part of your day to just soak it up. The emotions. How it looks. What the food tastes like. Your dads smile when you dance. Hugging your mom after your sealing. Kissing your husband across the alter. Dancing with your nieces and nephews. Those are the moments that you’ll reflect on and smile about later on.
If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, step back and remember WHY you’re getting married and that will put things back into perspective. Marriage is the best thing that’s ever happened to me! You are about to begin your journey to happily ever after- enjoy every second of it.